Friday, April 14, 2017

Honey Soy Sriracha Grilled Salmon

It's FRIDAY.  Hoooray! Isn't that just the best feeling? I don't actually know why I'm so happy it's Friday, as I'm still home with the babies and Monday is really no different than Friday for me right now...but it just feels good. Also I get to drink wine and eat Mexican with abandon. Guacamole, I'm coming for you.

This marinade just made my summer. I will be using it all summer long on fish, on chicken, on pork tenderloin, on everything. It's perfection, and it's THREE ingredients. (I'm not counting the oil).  Because salmon has a high fat content, I only used a tablespoon of oil here - you don't need any more.  If I were using this for chicken or pork,  I would use about 1/4-1/3 cup of oil. Also, heat intimidates me (as in spicy heat), so I only use about a tablespoon of Sriracha. This is very very mild. For a little more punch add 2 or 3.

Recipe
  • 4 8 oz salmon filets
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1-3 tablespoons Sriracha
  • 1 tablespoon Sesame oil 
Mix all the marinade ingredients and transfer to a ziploc bag. Add the salmon and marinate for at least an hour (no more than 8). One hour of marinating will be more than enough - fish saturates quickly.  When ready to cook, heat the grill to medium high.

Now here's a handy tip I learned from Simply Recipes: cook the skinless side DOWN first, because fish breaks apart easier when it's cooked. So if you place the skinless side on the heat first, the skin will hold it together, then you flip it over and finish cooking on the other side.  So I did skinless side down first for 3 minutes, then flipped and did another 5-7 minutes. Don't forget to generously oil the grill grates first!

No comments:

Post a Comment