Thursday, April 27, 2017

Wild Rice Salad

Sorry for the blogging absence, but I've been laying on the beach for several days with lots of margaritas and zero babies. That's right.  1 Sun + 3 infinity pools + 72 margaritas - 2 babies = paradise.  Temporary paradise, because we were definitely excited to get back to our little munchkins. But the break. Oh, the break. Ahhhh.  My parents' weekend was considerably less relaxing, as they so amazingly took on the task of babysitting.  They handled it like a boss and honestly I think they had a hard time relinquishing control when we got home. Although I am convinced my parents fed the boys Indian food all weekend because the number of dirty diapers today truly seems absurd. Someone is sabotaging me and I just haven't been able to pinpoint who yet. 

But before I left, we have a really fun family cookout. Do you say cookout, or barbecue? In Wisconsin we always said cookout. We grilled really delicious chicken, and I made this wild rice salad. It's a fun and different side dish and great when you have a gluten free guest like my dad (although when we serve anything but mashed potatoes he acts a bit stunned).

Recipe
  • 1.5 cups wild rice
  • 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
  • 2 cups chopped oranges
  • 1/2 cup Craisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or cashews
  • 3 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
  • Salt
Dressing
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest 
Prepare the wild rice and brown rice according to instructions. Drain and let cool.  Mix the dressing ingredients together, then combine in a bowl with the rice, oranges, craisins, nuts, mint and salt. That's it! Serve cold or room temp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment