Friday, September 18, 2015

The Best Italian Chopped Salad




Once in a while I have a craving for something so strong that I have to make it. Usually it’s something like peanut butter M&M butterscotch marshmallow treat ice cream sandwiches, but last weekend it was salad (yay! I’m growing up). I envisioned a chopped salad with salami, artichokes, avocado, cucumber, tomato, kale and Parmesan with a red wine vinaigrette. Those ingredients – nothing more, nothing less. Though if you liked olives and onions I could appreciate adding those too (but I don’t).
 

The dressing was killer. One we will make again and again.
 

Recipe (about 4 side salads)
  • Small head butter lettuce
  • ½ bunch kale (more to taste…I had to make sure my husband ate it)
  • 5-6 slices salami
  • 1 jar artichokes, drained
  • 1 pint grape Tomatoes (I used about ¾)
  • 1 Cucumber
  • 1 avocado
  • Parmesan and/or mozzarella cheese

Dressing

  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Pepper
First step is KEY. Chop all ingredients into little bitty pieces. That way, you can get a bite of everything in just one forkful.  Chop everything, throw it into a large salad bowl, then top with a fistful or two of cheese (I had Parmesan and mozzarella on hand). Season with fresh ground pepper.
 

The dressing mixes the best in a food processor, but sometimes taking out that big ol’ thing seems like too much work.  Either way, mix together all the ingredients except the oil.  If using the food processor, keep the machine running and slowly add the oil until combined.  If not using the food processor, whisk aggressively while adding the oil. I did it this way and everything turned out just fine. Toss the salad, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment