Thursday, March 6, 2014

An Incredible Steak

I was going to call this ‘the perfect steak,’ but then I realized I haven’t tried every single steak so I couldn’t possibly know if this one is perfect. But it is darn near close.  A friend of mine at work who likes to swing by and rattle off all of his delicious-sounding homegrown recipes (hi Mike B.), told me about this a while ago and I’ve had it on my mind ever since.  I even texted him on Sunday to get an emergency reminder of what to do.

So, let’s get to it. The key to this steak is the cooking technique.  This is how the steakhouses cook a steak, according to Mike, and I’ve never met a steak at a steakhouse that I didn’t like.  It also must be foolproof, because overcooking meat runs in my family.  

Now, the marinade is optional – but I really like the additional flavor it brought to the table. Mike adds tons of garlic, we didn't. Up to you. 


What you need:

  • 2 boneless Rib eyes (at least ¾ inch thick) 
  • Optional marinade (1/2 cup balsamic, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • HOT grill pan or skillet 
  • Butter
  • Oven at 400 degrees

If marinating, do so at least 3 hours before or overnight.  When ready to cook,  remove from the fridge and let the steak come to room temperature (about 30 minutes before).  Sprinkle with lots of salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Heat a grill pan and a tablespoon or two of butter over the stove on high until it’s super hot.  Sear each steak for two minutes on each side, then place the skillet in the oven for 6-9 minutes.  6 will get you to medium-rare, 9 will get you to medium-ish (We did 8 and it was perrrrrrfect). Let sit for several minutes before serving.  And voila,  suddenly you're the steak hero of the family.  Thanks for sharing Mike!


No comments:

Post a Comment