Monday, March 3, 2014

Wild Rice Chicken Salad

Do you have any girly events coming up? Like perhaps a baby or wedding shower? Or maybe a ladies' luncheon?  This should be your dish to bring. It hits all the women's hot buttons: it's a 'salad,' it contains fruit so it must be healthy, it has cashews so there's a crunch factor, there's a bit of a twist with the wild rice, and it's pretty.  By the way, what does the -eon add to a lunch? What happens between a lunch and a luncheon that justifies a whole new word?  Just wondering.

I first had this salad at my cousin's baby shower many years ago, and it's literally been on my mind ever since because I loved it so much. The recipe is courtesy of my lovely Aunt Donna, who swoops in with some real winners from time to time (like this pork tenderloin).  I highly recommend.

Oh and guess what? My husband loved it too.

Recipe (makes about 8 servings)
  • 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice, plus salted water
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
  • 1 can (8oz) pineapple chunks, drained and halved
  • 2 cups diced celery
  • 1 1/2 cups seedless grapes, halved
  • 3/4 cup light mayo
  • 1/2 cup chutney
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup roasted salted cashews 
Cook the rice according to instructions (boil in about 5-6 cups salted water, for almost an hour).  Drain thoroughly and let it cool and dry out a bit. In a bowl, add the chicken, pineapple, celery, and grapes. Mix together the mayo, chutney, and salt.   Add the rice to the bowl, then mix in the dressing. Chill until ready to serve (can be made a day ahead), then toss in the cashews.  I also added about 3/4 cup golden raisins for fun, and a little extra chicken.   I like to eat this salad on a croissant, but it's totally good solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment