Monday, February 3, 2014

Meatball Subs


 
First I would like to take a moment to admire this photo. Do you feel like it's far better than usual? Well, it is, courtesy of my sister Bente. She got me this app called Vibrantly that helps to improve your food photography. Whether it was a hint or just a thoughtful gift, I'm not sure. But I love it.
Do you like how I always post holiday/event food ideas after the holiday/event has already taken place? I’m sorry. These were perfect for the super bowl, and I should have told you to make them earlier. So now, I think you should make them for the Oscars (we should celebrate the fact that we're not the ones that have to squeeze into those dresses).

I’ve had meatball subs on my mind for a while now. We eat them at this dive-bar place in Dallas called the Loon, and also like them at Potbelly’s and Subway (and I’ve heard they’re great at Jersey Mike’s too).  But each meatball sub is a tad different, from the meatball size to the cheese to the bread. We have opinions about each one of those things, so I customized this into what I believe to be the perfect Meatball Sub: small meatballs (I have a small mouth), lots and lots of un-garlic-y marinara, soft but crusty buns, and mozzarella instead of provolone. Loved them.  And the best news: WE HAVE SO MANY MEATBALLS LEFT.  

Recipe (makes a lot – at least 8 subs)

·       1.25 lb ground beef

·       1.25 lb ground pork

·       Several dashes Worcestershire

·       1/3 cup breadcrumbs (we used gluten free)

·       2 eggs

·       ¼ cup shredded parmesan

·       2 tablespoons milk

·       ½ teaspoon salt, pepper to taste

·       1.5 24 oz jars of Marinara (36 oz total - I used a combination of a brand called Patsy’s and Newman’s Own)

·       1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained

·       Mozzarella cheese

·       Hoagie rolls

To make the meatballs, combine the beef, pork, Worcestershire, breadcrumbs, eggs, parmesan, milk, and S&P.  Mix well. Form 1.5-inch meatballs and place in a dish to refrigerate until you’re ready to cook (at least 20 minutes or so).  Preheat the oven to 400.  Heat a pinch of olive oil in a large skillet, and brown all sides of the meatballs (just a couple of minutes – meatballs should be browned not cooked) and using a slotted spoon (draining the fat), transfer them to a plate. Layer about half of the marinara on the bottom of a large casserole dish (13 inch), then place the browned meatballs into the dish, and top with the rest of the marinara.   
Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the meatballs are done. Lightly butter the rolls for the sandwich, then broil for a few minutes to toast. Top with marinara, meatballs, and lots of shredded mozzarella cheese. Serve warm!
 
Stayed tuned for my other super bowl recipes….

Queso Fundido
Black Pepper Roasted Cashews
And of course we made my favorite spinach dip, in my new cute little Le Creuset Au Gratin Dishes.
It was a perfect cheese-heavy super bowl with my favorite cheese heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment