Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Slow Cooked French Onion Chicken

My sister should have never given me an FBI hat (she's an agent).  I liked the hat originally because it had a nice fit and was a nice color, but now I like it because it gives me a lot of power and control.  Crossing streets, stopping traffic, asking people to slow down on our residential streets. Today I had to ask a family at the park to put their dog on a leash and based on their reaction I think they thought they were getting arrested. Or maybe that's just my hope.  Seriously though - I'm a dog lover - but Pitbull, still a puppy at 8 months old, running rampant at a children's park, chasing my boys because they are the perfect bite size little chew toy.  He actually looked like a perfectly friendly puppy, but even my childhood dog bit people when he was little. And quite frankly I just have enough threats to dodge when I'm alone at the park with both of them - I need to minimize the ones I can control. AND - it's the law and at the FBI we enforce the law.
(sorry Ingri, I hope I don't get you fired)
Onto this chicken. This chicken will change your life. My husband still hasn't stopped talking about it, and he keeps throwing out ideas of what else we could do with it ("we could eat it on a sandwich with melted cheese." "I bet we could eat it as a wrap."  "I think it would be great on a salad." Yes, yes and yes. Chicken does in fact work as all those things).  But it is one of my easiest recipes, it was so flavorful and the chicken is shreddable-tender when it's done. The chicken thighs are really what take this over the edge, but if you can't find a boneless skinless version, you could just use breasts.
Recipe
  • 3 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • Olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 package Lipton onion soup mix
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 1/3  cup water
  • Few dashes worcestershire
Preheat oven to 300. Heat a little olive oil in a large dutch oven, and season the chicken thighs with S&P.  Brown the chicken thighs on the both sides, about 2 min/side (if your grocery store doesn't have boneless skinless thighs, you can sub for chicken breasts. Thighs just get a little more tender).  Once all the thighs are browned (you can drain a little fat here if you want), deglaze the pan with white wine and reduce for 5 min. Pour the onion soup mix over all the chicken and add the mustard.  Add in the chicken broth and water to cover about 3/4 of the way up the chicken. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.  Remove from oven and place over medium heat on the stove; transfer the chicken to a bowl using a slotted spoon or tongs (chicken should be fall apart tender).  Whisk together the  corn starch and 1/3 cup water. Pour into the gravy mixture and allow to thicken. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire. Serve gravy over the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment