Wednesday, August 7, 2019

P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps

Has anyone found the news to be extremely boring lately? I'm so bored with the news I'm almost hoping for another Kardashian family scandal to break.  No really though...the news is just filled with noise noise noise. Riots and protests, the latest Trump tweet, the latest person who's been offended by something, the Emmy's speeches which were just more of the same.  Even Hurricane Irma and Harvey which were HUGE news stories died down after the 'drama' was over. Can't the media cover the real aspect of anything? How are those communities recovering from the hurricanes? What does it look like? What activities are going on in the country to help these cities? And if it is possible that global warming is responsible, then can we see some sort of special on it that discusses the data and historical facts? Seriously, I would like to be educated. I'm not trying to be controversial but it just seems like the media is consistently consumed by the latest drama that will get the biggest reaction, but that aggressive coverage and 'investigative journalism' stops short of actually educating people and bringing them real, useful information. And please, for the love of God, FIND MH370. That mystery has me so intrigued I'm almost ready to volunteer to help in the search (not sure what skills I would bring to the table other than curiosity).
Anyway, I used to really like reading the news but because I'm so bored with it now I have to eat my way through the week with delicious recipes.  Last week I wrote aboutstrategies for avoiding Chinese takeout with my Mongolian Beef recipe.  If you want to understand why anyone would do that, you'll have to read the post (and even then, you might still be confused).  But in order to really corner the Chinese market with my husband I needed to figure out how to replicate P.F. Chang's chicken lettuce wraps. He LOVES them. There are lots of copycat  recipes out there that inspired me (like this one), but I made several changes to get it exactly how I wanted it (less hoisin sauce, more soy sauce, add brown sugar, Sriracha instead of garlic sauce, no green onion, etc). I'm not really a lettuce wrap person because I love rice with anything Chinese, but these are definitely worth it. And so, so easy to throw together.
Recipe
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
  • 2 lb ground chicken, S&P
  • 1 sweet/yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • 5 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1-3 teaspoons sriracha (I used about 1.5-2, just a touch of heat)
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, finely minced (I did just two)
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • ~1/2-1 teaspoon ground ginger (I don't love a strong ginger taste, start with 1/2)
  • 1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and diced small
  • 1 6 oz can mushrooms (I used straw mushrooms from Asian section), drained & chopped
  • 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated and washed
  • Special Sauce from here(optional, but highly recommended. I halved recipe, omitted mustard and used about 1/2 tsp sriracha)
Brown the chicken in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, and season with salt and pepper. When chicken is almost done cooking, add in the diced onions. Cook another 5 minutes or so until onions are soft. Transfer Chicken/onions to a bowl. Add in the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil, then the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, brown sugar and ginger. Cook for several minutes to combine and thicken. Add back in the chicken, and the water chestnuts and mushrooms. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Serve on lettuce leaves with special sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment