Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Avocado Mango Cole Slaw


SUMMER, I AM READY FOR YOU.  Now that I made this avocado mango cole slaw that screams Summer BBQ, I am ready.  Just kidding! We live in Texas. I hate summer! Summer in Texas makes me want to crawl back to my beautiful lake-filled-cool-summer-nights Wisconsin roots. Texas has a lot to offer, but in my opinion Summer just isn't one of them.

But, talk about a fun way to add color to cole slaw. Cole Slaw is sort of notoriously bland looking. We all love it, but it looks boring/borderline gross in the picnic setup. So, here's mine with lots of fun color and flavor.  Tip - the cabbage blend at Trader Joe's is a great base. Love the mix and pretty purple cabbage!

Recipe
  • 4 cups cabbage/cole slaw blend
  • 1 cup chopped mango
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/4 cup light mayo
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk (or 1/4 milk with a dash of lemon juice)
  • 1.5 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher/coarse salt
  • poppyseeds (optional). 
Make the dressing by combining the mayo, buttermilk, vinegar, sugar, salt and poppy seeds.  Mix in the cabbage and mango.  Let marinate for at least 1 hour.  Prior to serving, add in the chopped avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment