Sunday, March 5, 2017

Butterscotch Pie + Saltine Cracker Crust




I made three butterscotch pies yesterday. Three. The first one I didn't like at all, the second one was okay but something felt off about it, and the third one turned out juuuuust right. It sounds like a giant waste of time considering the only people eating this Butterscotch pie is me, but once I had it in my head that I wanted butterscotch pie I couldn't let it go.  The good news is that I made all three during my babies' afternoon nap, so this pie is really pretty quick and easy! Also....salty crust with sweet butterscotch? It was perfect..and a cracker crust is sooo much easier than a real pie crust. It's like a lazy man's pie crust. 

Recipe

Crust
  • 1.5 sleeves saltine crackers
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Filling
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup Half & Half 
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher/coarse salt
  • 4 egg yolks, beaten
 Preheat the oven to 350.  Crush the saltines in a food processor. In a bowl mix together with the butter, salt and sugar. Grease a pie pan and then press the cracker crust along all edges. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.

For the filling, melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Whisk in the brown sugar and bring to a low simmer for about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.  Mix together (I found this to work best in a food processor to prevent lumps) the Half & Half and flour. Add in the vanilla, salt, and egg yolks.  Slowly add in a touch of the hot sugar mixture to the egg mixture, stirring constantly to temper the eggs. Then add in the rest of the sugar mixture and blend until smooth.  Return all the filling to the pot and bring to a very low simmer until thick, about 5-10 minutes.  Pour the filling into the crust, let cool and then refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving. 

PS. As with most pies/cakes, this tastes even better the next day

PPS. I feel like a crushed pretzel crust would also be amazing with this 

No comments:

Post a Comment