Friday, March 3, 2017

Banana Bread for Two



People warned me before I got married that I would inevitably find out traits about my husband that  I didn't like, that I didn't know existed. In my soon-to-be-newlywed bliss (and ignorance), I thought no way! That can't be true! 

But after we returned from our honeymoon, about 3 weeks into our marriage, my worst nightmare came true. I got up early one Saturday morning, made my coffee, and decided - I'll make my banana bread and bring some to John in bed! He'll love me! I'm such a domestic person! I made it, let it cool down to a nice warm melty temperature, topped with a little butter, and brought it upstairs with a napkin. His response? "Thanks, but I don't really like banana bread."

A small part of me died that day.  But I had to move forward, forge on. So now I do one of two things: I either make a loaf of banana bread and freeze the leftovers, or I make this recipe which is just enough for two people. Or two days worth of banana bread for one person. Or one day's worth if you want two muffins.

Recipe
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 small ripe mashed banana
  • 1 tablespoon beaten egg (beat egg in a cup, and do your best to get ~1T.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • ~1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • Dash vanilla
  • Dash salt
  • Handful of chocolate chips or nuts
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients together. If you need help mixing in the banana, heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds and it will mash right up with a fork. Divide into two greased muffin tins, and bake for about 22-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment