Thursday, August 8, 2013

Greek Chicken Pitas with Tzatziki Sauce

Hello. I fell off the blogosphere, I'm sorry. I have been traveling like a crazy person so food has been sort of an afterthought. That's a lie, food is never an afterthought for me.  But cooking has been.

I've been having a strong craving for Greek food ever since we got back from Greece and Turkey. While I never ate a chicken pita while I was there (nor did I see it on any of the menus), I've been hooked on eating tzatziki sauce. And tzatziki sauce goes great on chicken pitas.

I marinated my chicken in a bottled Greek vinaigrette, then grilled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces. I warmed whole wheat pitas, then we topped with chicken, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, feta, and tzatziki (recipe follows). Loooove this dinner - so simple and healthy. I like my tzatziki really dill-y, so adjust to your taste.

This picture is after I remembered that I wanted feta on mine.  How did I forget the cheese?? I don't know. I must have been blinded by the tzatziki.  Sorry, I will stop saying that word.

Tzatziki Sauce
  • 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup chopped cucumber, seeded
  • 2 tablespoons fresh dill
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • dash pepper
Chop the cucumber into small pieces (really small if your husband claims he hates cucumbers but you know he likes tzatziki. Oops, last time), and cut out the seeds. Mix with the yogurt, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, S&P.  Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment