Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cream Cheese Red Velvet Cookies


Am I the worst blogger ever lately? Yes. Yes I am. But I have been traveling nonstop and have had little to no kitchen access in the last few weeks. I feel incomplete and restless.

I made these for Mother's Day, and what better way to celebrate our wonderful moms than with bright red decadent chocolate cookies?

Recipe (adapted from Duncan Hines)
  • 1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
  • 6 tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 package cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350.  Mix the cake mix, melted butter, eggs, and 1 tsp. vanilla in a bowl. Add in the chocolate chips. In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Drop the cream cheese mixture into the cookie dough, and give it a couple LIGHT swirls to incorporate. Don't over-mix or you'll end up with pink cookies.  Chill for about 20 minutes (this is optional, but you'll get fuller cookies if you refrigerate).  Drop in tablespoon-fuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 9-11 minutes. 

I hope to have more recipes in the coming weeks, but I just looked at my American Airlines account and I have 7 upcoming flights in my queue. SEVEN.   I may have to get back into the flight attendants' quarters and help them mix drinks and warm up the nuts or something.  If I did that I suppose I could give myself all pistachios and cashews, and leave the almonds for everyone else. Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment