Thursday, February 7, 2013

Grape Jelly Meatballs

Yes, these are as good as they look. This recipe is courtesy of my mother-in-law Jane, with a few minor additions because I like adding 'dashes' of things.

There are two things that sparked my strong desire to make these: 1. The huge hit they were at the Braley family Christmas party this year and 2. The mysterious jar of Welch's Grape Jelly that has been sitting in our fridge for almost a year that neither of us will fess up to purchasing. My husband claims he did not buy the grape jelly because he would never buy grape jelly and he in fact just recently purchased a jar of strawberry. I did NOT buy the grape jelly because I would never buy grape jelly and the jar is of enormous proportions - and I did not start going to Sam's club until John let me in on his membership. 

Regardless, I don't really care for grape jelly in any setting other than meatballs. And even that I didn't know I liked until just recently. 

Recipe
  • 1 package frozen Italian meatballs, appetizer size (~60)
  • 2 12 oz. bottles Heinz Chili Sauce
  • 1 32 oz. jar Grape Jelly
  • 1/2 cup Ketchup
  • Several dashes Worcestershire
  • Dash yellow mustard
Preheat the oven to 350. Throw the 'balls into a large pot with a cover (or the crockpot), mix all the sauce ingredients and pour it over the meatballs. Bake in the oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Serve them with toothpicks, then make them into a meatball sub the next day. Or do whatever you like with them.  GUARANTEED a huge hit at your next party.

No comments:

Post a Comment