Monday, May 7, 2012

Pulled Chicken Tacos

It was a very happy Seis-de-Mayo in the Braley household, complete with a Mexican meal of pulled chicken tacos, grilled corn off the cob, and store bought guacamole. We were not able to celebrate the  holiday on Cinco, as we went to the Mavs playoff game, so we brought Mexico to 5815 Velasco on Seis. And you know what? I couldn't even tell the difference.

In my opinion, all chicken should be made this way. Braised in liquid at a low temperature, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The result is the most delicious, flavorful, moist and tender chicken you will ever eat. Or at least I will ever eat. I consistently over-grill my chicken breasts, and this is a fool-proof way to have moist and perfectly cooked chicken. This time, I made it with diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and chicken broth - an idea I came up with when I was sampling the guacamole at Central Market. I know, I'm so innovative. But, this easy peasy recipe was just great and I highly recommend you all try it. In fact, as I am writing this I am watching my husband eat his fifth leftover taco today. Yes, fifth. Two for lunch, three for dinner.  I like when John appreciates my cooking, but.....

Recipe
  •  4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • ~2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • Olive oil and/or butter
  • Corn or flour tortillas
  • Shredded cheese
  • Sour cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Quickly brown all sides of the chicken, about 1-2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to low, then pour in the diced tomatoes (liquid included), and chicken broth until the meat is almost covered. Pour in the taco seasoning to taste...I did about 3/4 of a full packet which seemed perfect. 
Mix everything together, bring the liquid to a boil, then place in the oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (it will be done after 1 1/2, but easier to pull apart after 2...).

Remove the dish from the oven, and transfer the meat to a plate. Shred the chicken, then strain the liquid to reserve the tomatoes and mix it all together. 
You may want to keep just a little of the liquid to keep the chicken moist. I didn't, but I thought afterwards that it might be a good idea.  Serve immediately! With tortillas and sour cream! And guacamole! And cheese!

I also grilled bell peppers and onions to serve on the tacos because it seemed like the right thing to do. And it was. Gracias Mexico.
 Yep that's corn too, to be posted at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment