Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Honey Barbecue Chicken

 
I've been waking up most mornings lately with food ideas in my head.  Usually they are inspired by something, and this one was no exception.
Whataburger Honey BBQ chicken sandwich. Please don't judge me. The advertisements are everywhere and I can't get it out of my head. Don't worry - I'm not making the chicken strip sandwich. But the HONEY BBQ CHICKEN...yes please.  I woke up and I wanted to eat it...so, that's what we did. And let me tell you - you will LOVE this. It moved into my #1 slot...it is gooooood.

Recipe
  • Mix of bone-in chicken breasts & drumsticks, skin removed by butcher(~2lb)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
  • 1 bottle (16 oz) sweet barbecue sauce (recco: Rufus Teague)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • Dash Worcestershire
  • 1/2-1 cup water
  • S+P
  • 2 large appetites
Start by preheating the oven to 300. That, right there, is the key to this delicious, fall-off-the-bone chicken - cooking it low and slow in a pot full of flavorful liquid. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken dry, salt and pepper.   Brown each side of chicken, about 3-4 minutes each side.
Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the chopped onion to the pot, and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with the red wine (this is optional...you can use a little chicken broth or nothing at all)...I just happened to have an open bottle of red wine next to me and I love the smell of cooking onions in red wine.
And the best part, here comes the BBQ.  I usually use my trusted Austin's Own BBQ sauce, but I was horrified when I went to Central Market and they were totally sold out. Central Market never lets me down, and I have to admit I felt really hurt and betrayed. But, when bad things happen, you just have to pick yourself up and keep going. So I asked the friendly CM man what he recommended, and without batting an eye he gave me this:
and OH MY GOD. I could eat this with a spoon. Or through a funnel. It is sooo good. Pour in the whole bottle.
Next comes the honey.
I dumped in the whole cute little thing. I think it's probably about a half cup. Next, throw in a couple dashed of worcestershire.
Mix it alllll together, inhale the amazing aroma, and feel like everything is right in the world.  When you've come to, put the chicken back in the pot.
Make sure all the chicken is good and coated (add up to a cup of water if necessary), then put the cover on and bake at 300 for 1 1/2-2 hours, until the meat is literally falling off the bone (it will be done after 1 1/2 hours, it will be more tender after 2...).  Now, the next part is optional - but highly recommended. I transferred all the chicken in a glass baking dish, scooped a bunch of sauce over them, and put them under the broiler for a few minutes.
See that? The sauce gets kind of caramelized/crispy on the outside. 

You won't believe the tenderness and flavor of this chicken - I beg you to make this for your next dinner party.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment