Friday, October 14, 2011

Peach-Whiskey Barbecue Chicken

If you love a sweet and tangy barbecue flavor, you will love this recipe. Loooove this recipe.  If you don't love a sweet and tangy barbecue flavor, I don't want to know you.

Recipe
  • 2-3 lbs bone-in chicken breasts, thighs, or legs (I prefer skin off)
  • 1 sweet onion, diced 
  • Several tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
  • ~1/2 cup to 1 cup whiskey (or however much you have)
  • 1 jar peach preserves
  • 1 bottle sweet barbecue sauce
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
  • S&P to taste

Start by heating the olive oil and butter in a large pot.
I used a combo of drumsticks, thighs, and breasts. I thought the drumsticks were the best. The breasts were definitely the least tender/moist. I bought them with bone-in and skin-on, but I had the butcher remove the skin. I feel like the sauce gets to the meat easier that way.  Place the chicken in the pot and brown on all sides.

 Remove the chicken to a plate. Add in the onions. Let them cook until translucent.
Next, good ol' Jack shows up to the party. I do not like the flavor of jack daniels, but trust me you will in this recipe. Jack did some amazing things to this chicken.
 Pour in a bunch...and let it reduce a little.
 Take out a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce - ours is Austin's Own or Rufus Teague (honey sweet).
 Pour in the whole bottle. Stir around.
 Next, add a whole jar of peach preserves. Yes this jar says peach and mango. That was a mistake. A lovely mistake.
Fill the peach jar halfway with water, dump it in.  Sprinkle in some Worcestershire.  Whisk it alllll together. Add the chicken back in. Right now your kitchen will smell so good you'll want to marry it.
 Finally, throw it in the oven at 300 for 1 1/2 hours so the chicken gets very tender and delicious. If you don't have that much time, I think you could bump it up to 325 for an hour.
 Pure awesomeness.


No comments:

Post a Comment