Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chicken and Peas

I looooove Chicken Pot Pie...in fact I would eat it every day if it didn't make you fat. But I think it does. 

So as I'm transitioning into more weeknight healthy cooking, I was trying to think of how I could modify the pot pie recipe into something lighter and more Tuesday night-ish. 

I omitted  the crust completely (I served with french country bread for dipping) - and made the filling mainly of chicken, vegetables, chicken broth and corn starch to thicken. 

The result was certainly no pot pie...but it was light, very tasty, very easy, and a perfect mid-week meal.

Recipe (for 2):
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2-3/4 cup peas, depending on your pea-liking
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • Parsley (optional)
Heat 1 T. olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, carrots and broccoli, and cook about 12-15 minutes. Transfer the vegetables into a bowl; set aside. Add another tablespoon olive oil to the heat skillet; brown the chicken over medium heat.  Add the vegetables back in.
In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix the chicken broth, corn starch, rosemary and parsley. Pour the liquid into the skillet, and mix until the sauce thickens.
Serve in bowls, with bread for dipping. I found that drizzling with soy sauce is very tasty as well. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment