Monday, September 26, 2011

Onion Strings

I really like things that are fried. And I really like frying my own things because it makes me feel like I accomplished something - well, two things: 1. I made something delicious (because when is fried food ever not delicious) and 2. I did not burn my face or my fingers off.

I made Sloppy Joe's the other night, and so of course I also needed to make onion rings. I made this delicious recipe from the Pioneer Woman (oh how I love her) - and they turned out just great.

Heat the oil to 375 (as Ree states, it NEEDS to be 375, anything less and you end up with non-crispy strings). After marinating the thinly sliced onions in buttermilk for at least one hour, dredge the onions in the flour mixture.
Fry....
The longer you keep them in, the crispier they turn out (yeah!). Remove from frying pan and place on paper towel to soak up some of the grease. They can practically be considered a health food now...
 I enjoyed these with ketchup, and also on top of my sloppy joe. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment