Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mexican Creamed Corn

I loooove canned cream corn. It used to be one of my favorites growing up...so I was absolutely delighted when I was out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant a few weeks back and creamed corn was on the menu. It was amazing, needless to say, and I immediately started thinking about how I could replicate it myself. I decided to use grilled corn, because it's more fun than non-grilled corn, and it turned out just fabulous.


Recipe:

  • 3 ears of corn, grilled until charred
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of cream or half-and-half; more if you want it creamier
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 T. light mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • Juice from 1/2 lime
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
Start by grilling the corn until slightly charred, about 15 minutes. Once cooled, cut the kernels off the cob into a bowl. Sauté the onions and butter in a large frying pan; add the corn after the onions have turned translucent. Turn the heat to low.


In a separate bowl, mix cream, mayo, and sugar.  Add the cream mixture to the frying pan. Stir thoroughly to coat. Add salt, chili powder, and lime juice. Stir and simmer a few more minutes to let the flavors marinate.  I think I added a little more cream at the end because I like it reeeeal creamy, a la the Jolly Green Giant. Remove the corn from heat, and finish with chopped cilantro.  I hate to say it Green Giant, my days of canned creamed corn are history.

No comments:

Post a Comment