Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Dinner Party Menu: July

I've got the best tip for all you moms out there. It's fully researched, tested, and proven to be very effective. It just takes a leeeeettle bit of sacrifice on your part.
Get the flu. Or mildly poison yourself with salmonella.
Yesterday I got the flu (I know, it's not inFLUenza but the flu as we all know it from our childhood)...or salmonella poisoning, I can't be sure because I did spend a good part of my day testing the cake batter for my sons' upcoming birthday...and I'm telling you guys. My husband had to stay home to take care of the kids...and for the first time in 362 days, I didn't change 16+ diapers, I didn't make and clean up 6 meals, I didn't change outfits 4 times, I didn't pull Bax out of the fireplace 3 times, I didn't make 4 trips back forth to the car loading and unloading babies in 100 degree weather, I didn't read 4 books that make little to no sense, and I didn't give anyone a bath. Oh and my clothes looked and smelled clean at the end of the day.  What I did do, is lay in bed all day and watch Friends. Sure, throw in a little puking here and there but you know what? I feel rejuvenated. Try it.
So now that both babies are walking around like crazy, I have the opposite problem that I thought I'd have. I am not running in 2 different directions to constantly chase them down; THEY are constantly running in one direction to chase ME down. Seriously, I can't even go to the bathroom without those two pounding on the door for me to come out. It makes kitchen time very tricky- I've got two little puppies just following me step for step; into the pantry, into the fridge, into the dishwasher. So today I am doing a dinner party post because I haven't been cooking.
July - what a great time for a casual, cool dinner party. Something easy, something summery, something casual, and something outdoors is the ideal gathering. Nothing fussy here - just getting together with friends for good food and drinks.
Appetizer:   Veggies and store-bought dip
Main:           Sweet Texas BBQ Ribs
Side 1:          Sweet Potato Skins
Side 2:          Buy the Dole BBQ Ranch Salad Kitat the store (obsessed with this)
Dessert:      Ice cream with hot fudge/caramel topping
To execute:
  1. Arrange veggie platter the morning of; cover and refrigerate
  2. About 3 hours before guests arrive, start the grill and oven. Sear the ribs and then wrap and place them in the oven, basting for about 2 hours.  Let the ribs rest for 30-45 minutes.
  3. During the last hour of ribs, bake the sweet potatoes. In another oven is ideal, otherwise just put them in a little longer. Or, microwave!
  4. While the ribs are resting, finish making the potato skins in the oven or grill.
  5. Put the salad in a bowl.
  6. Um, that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment