Thursday, May 4, 2017

Grilled Corn with Salted Lime Butter


Cinco de Mayo is truly a remarkable holiday. I mean, so many of us in the U.S. celebrate it, talk about it, blog about it, IG about it... (and by celebrate it I mean go sit on the patio of a Mexican restaurant and drink Margs)...and I know at least in my case, I have nothing to do with Mexico's military victories on the historical 5th of May. And I bet they don't celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico. But you know why that is? BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE BEST STUFF.

Margaritas. Tacos. Nachos. Carnitas. Guacamole. And it doesn't stop at the food. Sombreros. Bright Colors. Festive Music. Great beaches. What's not to celebrate? They really got things right.

In fact when I was in Mexico a couple weeks ago, I discovered they even have a Fritos product that we don't carry. Salty lime Fritos. I can't explain to you how much I loved them, and I'll never understand how I fit so many little bags of them into my suitcase (speaking of - was I supposed to declare those?) But they're gone now so I had to take the fundamental flavors - corn, lime, salt - and create my own recipe. Enter: Grilled corn with salted lime butter. Hello, summer.

Recipe
  • 4 ears corn, husks removed
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
  • Juice from 1 lime (about 2 teaspoons)
Let butter come to room temperature. Mix together with salt and lime (I used a fork).  Heat the grill to medium. Grill over direct heat for 10-15 minutes, rotating to get perfectly charred sides.  Smother with the lime butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment