Sunday, March 12, 2017

PB & B Oatmeal Bites

I have been dying for Girl Scout Cookies all year. Dying. And I can't find them anywhere. I even tried to solicit some girl scouts on our neighborhood website by posting a request for these apparent elusive cookies. Eventually I did come across a cookie stand outside a nearby school, but they were out of the very cookie I was in search of: the Samoa. Or the Caramel Delite. PS did you know they are called two different things depending on what region you live in? I have lived in both regions but like to call them Samoas because it's more exotic sounding. Anyway, out of the Samoas!! Doesn't sound like these girl scouts were prepared for anything, as the Girl Scout Law promises. Actually I don't think the Law promises that but I do remember preparedness being a major tenant when I was a young Brownie. Anyway, I have been craving the Samoas day in and day out.

These are like Samoas in almost no way. Except for the flaked coconut on top, I simply didn't have it in me to attempt baking girl scout cookies. So, I used what was in my pantry (the beeeeest kind of recipe!), and came up with these delicious and healthy things! What a perfect addition to your coffee in the morning.

Recipe
  • 2.5 cups oats
  • 2 large bananas, mushed
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse/kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 4 tablespoons peanut butter
  • Chocolate chips
  • Flaked, unsweetened coconut (optional)
Place the oats in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the bananas and milk. Add the baking soda, salt and vanilla. Mix together with the oats, then beat in the egg. Mix in the syrup and PB.  Throw in a handful or two of chocolate chips.  Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins, top with some flaked coconut, and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. PS they are pretty low in sugar, but if you want them more dessert-like, add more syrup! Or brown sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment