Now that my pregnancy nausea has sort of ceased (I'm convinced it will never totally go away), the best thing has been very distinct cravings. Like I never just want a salad, or a sandwich, I want an oriental salad with sesame dressing and wonton strips or a turkey sandwich with pickle and honey mustard. This casserole was a product of that. I wanted a creamy chicken casserole with wild rice and teeny tiny chopped vegetables. Done.
- 1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (small box - 6 oz I think)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I got a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups chopped/small frozen vegetables (I used peas, carrots, and chopped broccoli)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 stalk celery, diced
- salt (at least 1/2 tsp, more to taste)
Cook the rice according to instructions. In a separate pan, cook the onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter for about 5-10 minutes until tender. In a bowl, combine the cooked rice, chicken, soup, half & half, onion mixture, and S&P. Pour into a casserole dish, cover, and bake at 300 for 30 minutes (or until warm). You could serve this with a salad, but preferred a warm, buttery, crusty piece of bread.
Labels: Chicken, I'm Lazy