Friday, March 20, 2015

The Holy Grail of Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been looking for these for a long, long, long time. I have made countless batches of chocolate chip cookies - all great - but always wanting them to be a bit more....something.  Chewy. Substantial. Thick. Like a mix between Potbelly's and Starbucks cookies. I've never quite succeeded....UNTIL NOW.

I could die tomorrow a happy lady with an autopsy report that reads "Chocolate Chip Cookie Overdose."

What's the secret? Not much, it turns out. Just a pinch of corn starch does the trick. It does wonderful, wonderful things to the cookie and keeps them very thick, chewy, and substantial.  

PS - there is no satire in this post.  I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, and my trolling for new cookies recipes can cease and I can focus on other aspects of my life.

Recipe
  • 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ sticks butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt in a bowl.  In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar, only until incorporated (over mixing will cause cookies to spread).  Add the eggs and vanilla, then mix in flour mixture.  Stir in Chocolate chips.  Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes (also keeps the cookies nice and thick).

Finally, drop the cookie dough into large balls on a cookie sheet (I used a 1/4 cup). Bake for about 9-11 minutes, taking them out when the edges are lightly golden but the middles look a bit underdone.  EAT THEM WITH MILK AND NEVER LOOK BACK. 


No comments:

Post a Comment