Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Grilled Potato Skins

When I think of potato skins, I think of eating them for the first time at Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando while on vacation with my family. It was a magical time, really. First trip to Florida, first trip to Disney World, first time on a plane, first time at a chain restaurant (true story. I'm from a small town), first time seeing small lizards in a natural environment, and first time eating potato skins. The memory is so vivid in my mind and it was such an exciting time for my family, that I think I'll love potato skins forever.

I might also love potato skins because they involve potatoes, cheese, bacon, and sour cream. But it's hard to tell.

Anyway, we made grilled potato skins last weekend to go with our hot beef sandwiches (I served watermelon too).  And woah! Grilling adds such a flavorful and crispy element I can't imagine making them any other way.

Recipe
  • 3-4 baking potatoes
  • Olive oil
  • Canola oil
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Bacon, cooked
  • Chives
  • Sour cream
The key to good grilled potatoes is microwaving them for a few minutes first, to make sure the insides get done.  Preheat the grill to medium-high (or low if you live in Texas and it's impossible to keep your grill below 450).  Pierce the potatoes with a knife, brush with olive oil and salt, then microwave for a few minutes (I had three large potatoes, and microwaved for 4 minutes).

Then, place them on the grill until cooked through - about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the potato.  Flip halfway through. When they're done, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Let them cool, then scoop out the insides (leaving about 1/4 inch potato).

Turn on the broiler. Brush both sides of the potato with canola oil (this will make it crispier than olive oil).  Sprinkle with S&P.  Broil the skins until crispy, a couple of minutes on each side.   Top with cheese and bacon, then broil a couple minutes more.  Sprinkle with chives and serve with sour cream. I promise these will make you happy. Disney World happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment