Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Egg Drop Soup

So I realized that my favorite weeknight meal is not included in my blog anywhere. It's perfect, in my mind - basic, fast, simple, plain yet flavorful enough, and you probably have all the ingredients in your fridge at any given time. There are many versions of egg drop soup - and this is mine.

This recipe serves 1, because it is perfect for a night alone while you are watching Friends re-runs and your husband is in New York for work.

Recipe
  • 1 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 tablespoons Corn Starch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons+++ soy sauce (not optional)
  • Pepper
  • Any other add-ins: spinach, sliced mushroom, green onions
Bring the chicken broth to a low boil. Whisk the corn starch with 1/2 cup water, then slowly stir into the boiling chicken broth. Reduce the heat a bit and allow to thicken (this shouldn't take long).  Pepper the egg whites, then mix them into the broth in a slow, steady stream - stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and allow the eggs to cook, adding in any vegetables if you so choose. Sprinkle with thyme and pepper. Mix in the soy sauce or drizzle on top of the soup (my preferred method, I like it concentrated). You can tone down the soy sauce, or use half the bottle like I do. It tastes delicious, and is worth the puffy face you will have in the morning (I hope I am not the only one that reacts to excessive amounts of sodium this way??). You should know I eat this soup at least twice a week, paired with a grilled peanut butter sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment