Friday, December 21, 2012

Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole



One of my faaaavorite dishes growing up - cheesy chicken broccoli casserole. I think I requested it for my birthday dinner nearly every year. While I believe my taste buds have become a bit more 'cultured' over the years, this dish brings great feelings of nostalgia and I will love it forever. It is very fitting that I am posting this on the very day of my wonderful mother's 60th birthday...as this is her recipe. 

That being said, you will not find this dish anywhere in France. Interpret that how you wish. 

Where you will find it, is Wisconsin.  Most recipes that include canned soup originated somewhere in Wisconsin.


Recipe
  • 2-3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 cups broccoli
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • Pinch curry powder
  • Pinch ground mustard (my add)
  • Dash Worcestershire (my add)
  • S&P
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Bake the chicken breasts (about 30 minutes at 350, drizzled with olive oil and S&P), and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Lightly steam the broccoli - about 2 minutes in the microwave. Leave the oven heated to 350.

Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, except the shredded cheddar. Make sure you don't overdo the curry powder - that's a sure fire way to ruin this casserole.

Layer the broccoli on the bottom of a casserole dish, followed by the chicken. Pour the cheese sauce over to cover completely. Top with shredded cheddar, and bake uncovered for 45 min. Let sit for a few minutes, then serve over rice. 

Merry Christmas everyone! I will be busy eating other people's food over the holidays, so I will see you in the New Year!

1 comment: