Monday, July 16, 2012

French Toast

I LOVE FRENCH TOAST. I didn't always know it though. Growing up I thought the combination of egg + bread was disgusting. Now the only ounce of disgust I feel is for all the years I lost not eating french toast. 

This was item #2 in our Sunday brunch, a perfect complement to our scrambled eggs. I like a lot of vanilla flavoring in my french toast, a little bit of brown sugar, and topped with freshly sliced bananas and maple syrup. 

Recipe
  • 1 french loaf, preferable day-old
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 cups half & half (or milk)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Slice the bread into 1-inch pieces. Mix the eggs, egg yolks,  half & half, vanilla and brown sugar in a bowl. You can use milk if you are worried about clogging your arteries. I'm not (yet). Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.

Dip the bread slices in one by one,  making sure to coat well. Try to cook the french toast almost immediately, as not doing so can result in soggy french toast.  Fry each piece until golden brown, a few minutes on each side. I find this process to be very fun and satisfying. See how much fun I'm having:
Lots of fun. And I'm happy, because I am about to eat this:
And all of this:


No comments:

Post a Comment