Texas Caviar

I don't know who came up with the name 'Texas Caviar,' but I like them. What a sneaky and innovative way to make a salad/dip/salsa consisting mainly of canned ingredients sound classy and exclusive.

The first truth is that there is nothing exclusive about this recipe. It is so easy (and cost effective!) - and a great party food. Plus it looks pretty with all the colors it has going on. I made this dip/salad/salsa (it is truly a multi-purpose recipe) for my husband's work lunch, served with Pulled Pork Tacos.

The second truth is that I don't think this is really Texas Caviar. True Texas caviar is composed mostly of black-eyed peas; and most variations contain chopped onions, jalapenos, and a lime-juice marinade. I didn't feel comfortable with any of that, so I made this instead. But it's close enough to the true Texas Caviar that I'm sure no one will be offended I'm using the name.

Recipe
Dressing
So, there's really no instructions here. Mix all of the salad/dip/salsa ingredients together, more or less of each to taste. I prefer a corn-heavy mixture, so I used 2 full cans of corn.  Whisk all the dressing ingredients together, then mix it together with the corn mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving, but 24 hours is ideal. Try to stir it occasionally to distribute the dressing evenly. Serve with pita or tortilla chips.

Labels: , , ,