Sunday, January 8, 2012

Texas Caviar

I don't know who came up with the name 'Texas Caviar,' but I like them. What a sneaky and innovative way to make a salad/dip/salsa consisting mainly of canned ingredients sound classy and exclusive.

The first truth is that there is nothing exclusive about this recipe. It is so easy (and cost effective!) - and a great party food. Plus it looks pretty with all the colors it has going on. I made this dip/salad/salsa (it is truly a multi-purpose recipe) for my husband's work lunch, served with Pulled Pork Tacos.

The second truth is that I don't think this is really Texas Caviar. True Texas caviar is composed mostly of black-eyed peas; and most variations contain chopped onions, jalapenos, and a lime-juice marinade. I didn't feel comfortable with any of that, so I made this instead. But it's close enough to the true Texas Caviar that I'm sure no one will be offended I'm using the name.

Recipe
  • 1-2 cans corn (depending on your love of corn)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can white northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can cooked black eyed peas
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 yellow pepper, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Dressing
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (please don't use the generic kind)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
So, there's really no instructions here. Mix all of the salad/dip/salsa ingredients together, more or less of each to taste. I prefer a corn-heavy mixture, so I used 2 full cans of corn.  Whisk all the dressing ingredients together, then mix it together with the corn mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple hours before serving, but 24 hours is ideal. Try to stir it occasionally to distribute the dressing evenly. Serve with pita or tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment