Friday, July 1, 2011

Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes

The secret behind outstanding mashed potatoes is quite simple: fat. If there is a lot of fat incorporated into your mashed potatoes, they will be good. If you use products like skim milk and margarine, they will not be good.

I typically make my mashed potatoes with butter, whole milk, and a little sour cream. When I came upon this recipe, I was blown away.  Cream cheese?! Never even crossed my mind. That lady is a true potato pioneer. 

I will let you view her pictures, as her food-photography skills are far more advanced than my own. I did change a couple things, so here is what I did:

9 russet potatoes
1 stick butter
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1/2-3/4 cup whole milk (the amount depends on how creamy you like your potatoes)
Lots of Pepper
Lots of Salt

After you boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes (or until soft), drain the pot and keep them on low heat for another 5 minutes or so, to dry them out. Mash them, then add all ingredients. I assure you that you cannot taste the cream cheese; it simply provides an unbelievable consistency that I have been unable to achieve with the standard recipes.  You can serve these immediately, or make ahead and reheat. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment