Sunday, May 8, 2011

Farm Stand Donuts

I have no idea why these are called Farm Stand Donuts. Of all the items I have seen at a farm stand, I am pretty sure I have never seen a donut.  In fact, fried donuts seem like the opposite of a farmer's 'live off the land' mentality. Regardless, it turns out the farmer can make one mean donut. And if you don't have the time this Saturday to head to the farmer's market to pick some up, I recommend you make these.  I got this recipe from my beloved 'Baked Explorations' cookbook, which I highly recommend to any baking enthusiast out there.


Recipe:


  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 stick melted butter, cooled.
  • Vegetable oil for frying
Glaze:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • Sprinkles (not optional)
To make the dough, whisk all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and sour cream until combined. Add the melted butter.

Create a hole in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the well. Fold in the flour using a rubber spatula to create a sticky dough.  Create a floured work surface, and pat the dough down to 1/2 inch thickness.  Using cookie cutters, cut out the circles and holes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use the excess dough to make donut holes.  I wish I could take credit for inventing the donut hole.


Pour oil into a large pan, about 1 1/2 inches deep. Heat over medium until it reaches 350-360 degrees.  While oil is heating create the glaze. Mix all ingredients in a liquid measuring glass. Set aside.

 Using a slotted spoon place the donuts carefully into the hot oil.


Fry for 2-3 minutes, then flip each one over using tongs. Fry for another 1-2 minutes.  

Glaze the donuts and top with sprinkles. I also covered a couple of them with plain powdered and brown sugar.

Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment